Rebel Recipes: Fake Oil & Fake Blood
How to make fake oil and fake blood for non-violent direct action
ABOUT THIS TRAINING
In this training, you will learn vegan, biodegradable recipes to take your nonviolent direct action to new heights. This recipe book includes recipes for fake oil and fake blood from Extinction Rebellion.
FAKE CRUDE OIL
Washable, non-toxic, biodegradable, and vegan fake crude oil for around 25p to 50p a litre
- 1 L of water
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) of black pond dye crystals
- 3 1/4 teaspoons (16.25 mL) of fine guar gum powder
- Electric whisk or blender
- 2 L measuring jug
- Set of measuring spoons
- Storage container
This recipe is very versatile and can be used in lots of places. Some examples are:
- Government buildings
- Fossil fuel companies
- Extraction research facilities
- Pour 1 L of cold water into the measuring jug. Add 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) of black pond dye crystals. Whisk at full speed for about 1 minute until fully dissolved.
- Add 3 1/4 teaspoons (16.25 mL) of guar gum powder to the solution. Mix straight away on the highest speed for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes until the solution appears thick.
- The result will depend on how fine your guar gum powder is. If you use coarse powder, try using closer to 4 teaspoons per litre. When you dip your finger into the fake oil or throw it not a vertical surface, it should mostly stick and remain thick, black, and photogenic, without a blue tint around the edges. The oil will thicken a little more with time. Check the consistency after half a day or so.
NOTES AND CAUTION
- Guar gum is your go-to plant-based cold liquid thickener. Other more common thickeners are much less economical and only work in a pre-heated solution.
- Pond dye is essentially a synthetic vegan food-grade dye at a more economical price.
- Guar gum and pond dye can be easily purchased online. The most economical pack size for guar gum powder is 1KG and for dye crystals 1KG, 500g, or 200g. Ready-mixed pond dye solution is less economical and also comes in a not-so-ecologically sound plastic bottle. 200g of dye crystals and 1 KG of guar gum will make around 75 L of fake oil.
- Try to make the fake oil as close to the action as possible especially in warmer weather as after a few days the solution may start to spoil and eventually ferment. The solution should be more than OK after 1 week when in cold storage.
- The pond dye is not very permanent and even less inclined to stain once thickened. You should be able to completely wash the fake oil off most surfaces including stone using just water. A limited amount of staining may occur on some surfaces. Always spot-test first.
- The fake oil is slippery to walk over. Be sure that there is room for people to walk around any fake oil spills and come prepared with some wet floor and slip hazard signs.
- 1 gal corn syrup
- 1 cup red food coloring
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup chocolate syrup
- ½ tsp blue food coloring
- ½ tsp green food coloring
Simply mix together the ingredients in a bucket!
To receive your badge for this training, make sure to leave a reaction above!
Do you have a training or a good idea for one? We'd love to hear from you. Please contact us at email@example.com.