Who are XR Youth Oxfordshire?
Join us and spread the word to your community
We are a youth climate activist group based in Oxfordshire and part of the wider XR Youth UK and International networks fighting for climate justice.
As Extinction Rebellion was founded in mid 2018, XR Youth began at the beginning of 2019, because of the need to create a platform within XR and the world, for the young person’s voice. Currently, XR Youth has 234 groups with 52 Universities, in 38 countries and 6 continents!
We rebel because extreme capitalism is causing gross inequality, poverty, mass misery, and the Earth’s sixth mass extinction. It gives money and power to a very small number of people, who use that money and power for their own benefit.
This system is destroying our planet’s capacity to sustain life by destabilising the climate. To change anything, we have to change everything. We must change this system in support of the most basic of universal values - the right to life.
We operate using direct action to demand change. We can no longer be ignored and patronised.
We are the youth and we want to live.
WE HAVE THREE DEMANDS:
- TELL THE TRUTH - Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- ACT NOW - Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- BEYOND POLITICS - Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
These demands are laid out in the Climate and Ecological Emergency (Declaration, Emissions Target and Citizens’ Assembly) Bill
WE HAVE 10 PRINCIPLES:
- We recognise the urgent need for societal change: Creating a world that caters for the youth of today so there can be those who come after us.
- We know that our mission is necessary: We are uncompromising in our aims, and have an understanding of the importance of success.
- We need regenerative cultures: Creating cultures which are healthy, resilient and adaptable.
- We openly challenge ourselves and this toxic system: Leaving the comfort zone of being blissfully ignorant to take action for change.
- We value reflecting and learning: Following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and partners as well as our own experiences.
- We welcome everyone, and every part of everyone: Working actively to create more equal and safer spaces.
- We actively challenge power: Promoting a truly representative voice of young people in a world built for and biased towards adults.
- We avoid blaming and shaming: We all live in and have inherited a toxic system - no one is free of its bias and socialisation.
- We are a non-violent network: Using nonviolent civil disobedience strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
- We are based on self-organisation and responsibility: We can make change come about by holding individuals and collective groups accountable for their actions
NB: these are working demands and principles and are constantly being improved, reevaluated and adjusted according to how it best aligns with Rebels’ beliefs.